WESTCARE OREGON



Veterans Affairs (VA) reports indicate that on any single night, nearly 58,000 Veterans are homeless; 57% were staying in an emergency shelter or transitional housing program and the remaining 43% were living on the street in an abandoned building or unsheltered someplace. Approximately 12% of all U.S. residents are Veterans. About 20% of the male homeless population are Veterans. According to Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs (ODVA) website, it is estimated that approximately 332,000 Veterans live in Oregon with an estimated 25,086 Veterans living in Marion County. Although we do not know the current count for Marion County Veterans, it has been previously estimated that Oregon has more than 7,000 homeless Veterans. With this said, the need for the VETcare Veterans Home is unquestioned.

The VETcare Veterans Home located at 2933 Center St NE, Salem, OR is an excellent facility for helping Veterans in Marion/Polk County who are homeless and those who are re-entering the community after being incarcerated. Veterans who were previously incarcerated and have been mandated to receive court-ordered substance abuse treatment in lieu of time in jail or prison, can do so at our facility. The facility allows us to serve a maximum of 30 Veterans by providing secure housing, life skills training, substance abuse treatment and reintegration programs.

The home has a 30 bed occupancy with shared bathrooms and shower facilities. There are laundry facilities on site as well as a full commercial kitchen and dining room for guests to enjoy meals and conversation. Case management is provided for each Veteran to ensure progress is being made towards their individual goals. If needed, in-house Mental Health counseling can be provided to help the healing process begin and enable our Veterans served to start working through any emotional issues that may have resulted in them becoming homeless.