In November of 2006 WestCare entered into partnership with the Illinois Department of Corrections (IODC) to provide substance abuse treatment services at the Sheridan Correctional Center in Sheridan, IL. WestCare provides a licensed totally dedicated adult male 950 bed in-prison therapeutic community substance abuse program using a three phase (orientation, treatment and prerelease reentry/reintegration) modified therapeutic community model. WestCare has a long history of implementing therapeutic community programs that are informed and guided by current research, and thus are considered to be evidenced-based practices. WestCare utilizes a conceptual framework for our therapeutic communities that motivates and engages the participants from intake to release and encourages them to transition into continued treatment in the community.
WestCare has partnered with Amity Foundation Inc. to implement the well-researched and recognized Amity Model for in-custody therapeutic Community and Extensions LLC to provide the therapeutic community staff training and specialized therapeutic community curriculum for the WestCare program at Sheridan.
WestCare works in conjunction with IDOC administrative, security, program, and support staff through regular meetings, development of shared procedures, and planned cross trainings to achieve a seamless and well-articulated set of expectations for both staff and inmate participants. WestCare values our Sheridan partnerships and has a commitment to work closely with IDOC, TASC, Safer Foundation, the Illinois Valley Community College, the Illinois Manufacturing Foundation, the National Homebuilders Association, to ensure communication and collaboration between all stakeholders.
WestCare is committed to the continued evaluation of the focus, intensity and effectiveness of the treatment model in order to ensure it is accommodating the realistic/practical treatment and cultural needs of men at Sheridan.
Best Practice clinical and behavioral approaches include:
• Therapeutic Community in isolated treatment units (Community as primary agent of change)
• Emphasis of the community is on the healthy, positive development of all aspects of its members
• Treatment that lasts long enough to produce behavioral change (9 to 24 months)
• Comprehensive and meaningful assessment
• Individual Treatment Plans
• Treatment that targets factors that are associated with criminal behavior
• Cognitive Behavior Treatment
• Family Education/counseling
• Balance of rewards and sanctions that encourage prosocial behavior and treatment
• Use of self-help groups and social/recreational learning opportunities
• Quality improvement
• Program evaluation
• Cross Training
• Coordinated approach to continuity of care/community transitioning
WestCare Illinois Mailing Address
1100 W. Cermak Road #B414
Chicago, IL 60608
Phone: (312) 568-7051
Fax : (312) 243-4107
Sheridan Facility Mailing Address
Sheridan Correctional Center
4017 E. 2603 Rd.
Sheridan, IL 60551
Phone: (815) 496-2181 ext.4000
Fax : (815) 496-3468